Just like Kermit, we know how hard it is to be green. We live each day not realizing how much water and energy we waste, what kind of products we buy and use, and how we’re affecting our precious planet. With Earth Day just around the corner, there are plenty of opportunities to learn how easy it is to be green. We thought we’d pitch in! This week’s Friday listicle highlights some awesome eco-friendly properties located around the world. Stay at any of these green-conscious properties without worrying about what kind of impact you’re leaving on the environment:
1. Cape Town, South Africa: This classy three-level villa is as environmentally-friendly as it is beautiful. It includes an electronically controlled watering system, rain-water tank and irrigation recycling rooftop solar panels. Did you know that many people in the world exist on 3 gallons of water per day or less? Well, we can use that amount in one flush of the toilet. Thankfully, this property engages in various ways to conserve water. Click here for other ways to save water in your own home.
2. New York, New York: This sleek, modern apartment is situated in a building that was constructed using green materials and finishes. With an amazing view of the city and an extremely classy and modern design, I really don’t know how anyone could resist staying here.
3. Montevideo, Uruguay: Not only is this apartment eco-friendly, it was also featured in “House Hunters International” on HGTV! The property includes LED lights, energy efficient appliances and light bulbs, and insulation to conserve energy. Staying here will lessen your impact on the environment AND, you’ll be sleeping in a home that was featured on TV (yes, bragging is acceptable).
4. Lombok, Indonesia: This traditional Javanese home has adopted sustainable design principles including passive cooling, rain-water harvesting, low-energy appliances, solar power and use of recycled timber. Become one with nature as you relax in this gorgeous eco-friendly home.
5. Zermatt, Switzerland: With the use of high-quality, energy saving appliances, this home is perfect for all of you green-conscious travelers. Infrared heating promises guests a smart eco-friendly way to keep warm while you enjoy a beautiful view of the village and the Matterhorn.
6. Athens, Greece: Whether you’re looking to chill out on the beach or delve into the rich history and culture of Greece, this apartment is the best place to stay. The truly amazing host PRODUCES her own organic goods which are offered complimentary to guests for their morning meal. Solar heating is also included and towels and sheets are washed with organic detergents.
7. Sydney, Australia: Located in the beautiful Bondi Beach, this eco-garden apartment offers the perfect getaway for all of you eco-friendly beach bums. This private apartment was recently renovated with eco-design principles in mind allowing guests to enjoy a peaceful vacation while leaving a positive impact on the planet.
8. Krabi, Thailand: All of the buildings in this eco-resort are energy efficient and the perfect place for an environmentally-friendly couple traveling to Thailand. Relax on the balcony while you enjoy a breathtaking view of the Naga Peak Mountain.
9. Lisbon, Portugal: This bioclimatic house is situated in a sustainable condo with a panoramic view over the Sintra Mountain Chain. It includes an energy efficient fireplace as well as external and continuous thermal insulation. There’s also plenty of room, so you can bring the whole family!
I guess it’s not that hard to be green after all! Happy Earth Week :o)
Questions? Email the author of this post, Dee Tiwari, at [email protected]