The first day of spring arrives in just four short days. Why not celebrate the new season with a music festival or two? It’s the best way to let loose, enjoy your favorite bands and maybe even discover some new music! Check out the list below, in order by date:
1. Vive Latino (MARCH 23-25): This Rock music festival is a great way to discover up and coming Latin and Spanish artists and enjoy some well-known faves. Musicians of various genres come together to create one of the most important rock en español music festivals around. The venue, Foro Sol, is in Mexico City, Mexico and is only ten minutes away from the Mexico City International Airport! The 2012 lineup includes Molotov, TV on the Radio, Gogol Bordello, Valenzuela, La Lupita, Javiera Mena.
2. Ultra Music Festival (MARCH 23-25): If you dig electronic music, this festival is a must. Not only is it one of the biggest electronic music festivals in the world, it also takes place in the hottest party city out there – Miami, Florida. The 2012 lineup includes Tiesto, Benassi, Avicii, Skrillex, Armin Van Buuren, Little Dragon, Fat Boy Slim and many others. From bass-pumping badasses to electronic inspired entertainers, Ultra Music Festival has it all. Don’t miss out!
3. Lollapalooza Chile (MARCH 31-April 1): There are about a bajillion things to do at Parque Higgins in Santiago, Chile. Enjoy a roller coaster behind one of the many stages at Lolla or lay in the grass and soak in the beautiful mountainous scenery. But, the most important part of Lolla Chile is obviously the music! This year marks the festival’s second consecutive year in Chile! Lolla 2012 offers an eclectic mix of genres and artists, both famous and local. The lineup includes the Foo fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Thievery Corporation, Los Jaivas, Band of Horses, Morodo as well as many other amazing artists. There will also be an all-ages “Kidzapalooza” stage for the family to enjoy!
4. Spring Scream (APRIL 4-8): Spring Scream began in 1995 making it the longest running major music festival in Taiwan. The festival takes place at the Kenting National Park in Hengchun, Pingtung, Taiwan and lasts for five days. Get your Taiwanese Rock fix at Spring Scream 2012! The 2012 lineup includes Aurora, Go Go Rise, Mystery, The Looking Glass, Alias, Sorrow of Youth and over 200 more domestic and international bands and DJ’s!
5. Snowbombing (APRIL 9-14): Music AND snowboarding? Sign me up! Snowbombing is held annually in the Austrian ski resort of Mayrhofen and offers luxury and comfort to its attendees (AKA ‘Snowbombers’). The 2012 lineup includes Dizzee Rascal, DJ Shadow, The Vaccines, Caze Nove, Maceo Plex, Mistajam and many more.
6. Coachella (APRIL 13-15, 20-22): Coachella is held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California and features countless genres to satisfy everyone’s musical taste. As per usual, the lineup is pretty damn sweet. You’ll be able to hear the likes of the Black Lips, Wolf Gang, AWOLNATION, Childish Gambino, Girl Talk, Beirut, Manchester Orchestra and Radiohead.
7. Le Printemps de Bourges (APRIL 24-29): Le Printemps is held in Bourges, France and has been running for 35 years. This festival has become a major event in both France and Europe. With over 200 artists and around 200,000 festival goers, it’s not hard to believe how much of an impact this festival has in the music world. The 2012 lineup includes Yuksek, Great Mountain Fire, the Juveniles, Imany, Baloji, About The Girl and many other musicians of various genres.
8. Groezrock (APRIL 28-29): Venture over to Meerhout, Belgium and get hardcore at this punk rock festival! Celebrating 21 years, Groezrock promises to bring its 30,000+ attendees the best fest experience of their lives. This year’s lineup includes Cobra Skulls, Red City Radio, Alkaline Trio, Wolves Like Us, Motion City Soundtrack, and The Wonder Years.
9. EUROPAfest (MAY 4-19): This fifteen day music festival is held in Bucharest, Romania and brings together artists from around the world. EUROPAfest presents talented artists from four different genres: jazz, blues, pop and classical music. Last year’s concerts included The Merry Poppins, Atmasfera, Wayne Brown, and other artists. Keep an eye out for the artists performing in 2012!
10. Bamboozle (MAY 18-20): This year Bamboozle will be held in Asbury Park, New Jersey to celebrate it’s 10th anniversary. The main stage will be right on the beach! So grab a blanket and enjoy the best of pop, rock, metal, comedy and more. The 2012 lineup includes We Came As Romans, Mike Posner, DJ Prime, Blink 182, Marianas Trench, Jimmy Eat World and Brand New.
11. Immergut Festival (MAY 25-26): This little festival in Neustrelitz, Germany presents attendees with indie, pop, rock and electronic music. Not only is the music great, but the location is beautiful with lush greenery and a lake to cool off by! The 2012 lineup includes Francis International Airport, Tall Ships, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Sin Fang and Blood Red Shoes.
12. All Tomorrow’s Parties (I’ll Be Your Mirror) (MAY 25-27): ATP will be held in Alexandra Palace, London and the I’ll Be Your Mirror series will be curated by Mogwai this year. The 2012 lineup includes Mogwai, Chavez, The Soft Moon, Sleepy Sun, Archers of Loaf, Harvey Milk, Balam Acab, and Forest Swords. The list is still growing as there are many more artists yet to be confirmed!
13. San Miguel Primavera Sound Festival (MAY 30-June 3): Primavera Sound will be held at Parc del Fòrum in the lovely Barcelona, Spain. Other than the performances at the main venue, there are also smaller FREE daytime performances in nearby parks! The 2012 lineup includes The xx, No More Lies, Beach House, Milk Music, SBTRKT, Veronica Falls, and Yo La Tengo. Get there a week early to party at a few showcase nights at clubs and venues around the area.
14. Rock Am Ring (JUNE 1-3): Rock Am Ring (Rock at the Ring) takes place at the Nürburgring racetrack in Germany while its sister festival, Rock Im Park takes place at the Frankenstadion in Nuremberg, Germany. While they are on somewhat opposite sides of Germany, fans regard both festivals as one. Over 80 international artists will be playing to a crowd of more than 80,000 people. This year’s lineup includes Marilyn Manson, Opeth, Evanescence, MIA., Linkin Park and The Ting Tings.
15. Sweden Rock Festival (JUNE 6-9): If you’re down with rock and metal, you absolutely have to make it to the Sweden Rock Festival. The festivities take place in Norje, Sweden where fans can mosh their little hearts out to the sounds of their favorite artists. The 2012 lineup includes Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Danko Jones, Slade, Axe and The Glory Story.
16. Caribana Festival (JUNE 6-10): The Caribana Festival takes place in Crans-près-Céligny, Switzerland offers a diverse group of musicians to festival goers. Since its beginnings in 1990, Caribana has morphed from a free local festival to a large international event. Thousands of people attend to hear the likes of a variety of international artists. This year’s lineup includes Lou Reed, Kasabian, Pony Pony Run Run, Motherrockers, and Keziah Jones.
17. Bonnaroo (JUNE 7-10): This music and arts festival in Manchester, Tennessee is one that should not be missed. Get pumped for great musicians, hilarious comedians and a cinema tent! Stop by the Broo’ers Festival which features more than 20 breweries under one tent. Bonnaroo even offers yoga classes to keep festival goers relaxed and energized! The 2012 lineup includes Phish, Black Star, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dispatch, Flying Lotus, Yelawolf, Major Lazer, The Lonely Forest, The War On Drugs and Aziz Ansari. The full comedy lineup is yet to be announced but I’m pretty sure it will be all sorts of perfection.
18. North By Northeast (JUNE 11-17): South by Southwest will come to a close in just a few short days. But, there’s no need to shed any tears! You can always check out North by Northeast (NXNE) in Toronto, Canada which is now in its 18th year. NXNE provides festival goers with a rich variety of music and films. Festival alumni include De La Soul, The Pharcyde, Black Lips, Thee Oh Sees, K-os, The Cool Kids, Matt and Kim, Best Coast and many more. Keep your eyes peeled for the 2012 lineup!
19. Sónar (JUNE 14-16): Sónar is the festival of advanced music and multimedia art that takes place in Barcelona, Spain. Sónar is about way more than just music and there are numerous activities to take part in throughout the city. But don’t forget to check out your favorite musicians! This year’s lineup includes The Roots, deadmau5, Hot Chip, Modeselektor, James Blake, Fatboy Slim and Richie Hawtin.
20. Rabarock 2012 (JUNE 15-16): This rock festival, in Järvakandi, Estonia, has been around since 2005. Rabarock presents both international and local artists all with a different sound. Whether you enjoy polka, rock or even metal, this festival has it all. This year’s lineup includes The Dwarves, Reckless Love, The Stranglers, the Von Hertzen Brothers, and Skyforger.
Add some enjoyment into your spring with these music festivals! Bring the family along or just go with a few friends. Either way, it will probably be the time of your life. Enjoy!
Questions? Email the author of this post, Dee Tiwari, at [email protected]